Wednesday, January 28, 2009

vacuum

When we got new carpet, our vacuum went kapoot. It decided that it was no longer interested in offering its cleaning services and that screeching loudly was a great way to get out of the work. Thus, I began searching for a new vacuum. I couldn't find any reviews that pointed to one vacuum being the absolute best - well... except for a Dyson, but I just couldn't get myself to fork out $500 for a household cleaning item - I don't really even like to vacuum. So after much searching and indecision for weeks, I finally decided on a Hoover Windtunnel II (the bagged version). It is big and rather heavy, but it is surprisingly fun to use. The best things about it:

  1. It has a bag like in the good ol' days. I hate the canisters - too messy.

  2. I got it for 40% off with a 2-year supply of bags + no tax + no shipping charges.

  3. It's green. That is a huge plus. It probably should have been higher on the list...

  4. It has an auto rewind for the cord. I think liking this feature makes me lazy, but it's awesome.

And the best thing of all...

The vacuum cleaner tells me if my carpet is dirty. It has an "Embedded DirtFinder system" with a red light that pops on for dirty and a green light for clean. When my carpet is clean, the nifty little green light comes on and tells me so. Very addicting! My neighbor's mom has a similar vacuum and he told me that she vacuumed for 2 hours in order to get the green Clean light to come on. At first I thought that was a little weird, but after feeling the power of the DirtFinder system, I can understand the peculiar desire to see that green light pop on.


My guess is that the Embedded DirtFinder system isn't triggered by dirty carpet at all - the lights simply come on randomly. I can just see the Hoover engineers now... "Let's add these silly little lights that make people think a vacuum, yeah, a plain ol' vacuum, can determine if their carpet is dirty. We'll have 'em vacuuming for hours! bwahaha!"

Either way, I happily vacuum my carpet until my Hoover WindTunnel II tells me to stop.