Thursday, August 12, 2010

triathlon

Last week, my sister, Kimberly, and I completed a triathlon. Not one of those so-crazy-your-muscles-have-to-practically-be-bulging-out-of-your-skin-to-complete-it triathlons. It was just a little, beginners triathlon. Still, I think I can honestly say I'm a triathlete.

I was soooo nervous before the race. I had been thinking I might possibly die during the swimming portion of the race. Death-by-triathlon didn't sound so good to me. Luckily, and yes, it was purely by luck, I did not die. There are no pictures of me swimming. If there were, there would have been several pictures of me side-stroking it through the lake.

Here is a picture after the swim. During the transition, my support group kept yelling questions at me - "How do you feel?", "Where's Kim?" (she was in the next women's wave), "Trish, how do you feel?". I was ignoring them. I was trying to concentrate on tying my shoes and frankly, I felt kinda wet and tired.
Finally ready to bike. I put on someone else's helmet at first and couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting right. When I finally pulled my bike out, I saw my own helmet hanging on the handle bars. I carefully placed (or maybe tossed - oops) the wrong helmet down and hopped on my bike.
The biking went really well. Here's a picture at the end of the biking portion:

And at the end of the run. I missed the turn-off toward the finish line, so I was extra happy to finally find the end.

I thought this would be my last triathlon, but we had such a good time, I think we're going to make it a tradition. Anybody care to join us?