Sunday, August 15, 2010


Every year, I make a book for my kids that contains pictures and journal entries from the past year. As Zach's birthday is quickly approaching and it is time to make his book, I was reading through past journal entries and came across some gems that I thought I'd share:

Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Zach is an eternal optimist. After church we always run through the good, bad, and the ugly behavior exhibited while there. So, during the car ride home from church, we will discuss his behavior. If it has been a particularly hard week, I will explain how he could improve (getting up off the floor and sitting on his chair, not spitting, singing the actual words to the Primary song and not just merely yelling, etc.). He will then reply, “But Mom, I was almost good.” He’s right and I have to smile, he was almost good.

Another eternal optimist story: Zach had to go to his room last night because he refused to eat his dinner. When I was tucking him into bed, I was re-explaining why he had been stuck in his room and didn’t get to play. I told him, “Buddy, you didn’t eat your meatballs and that’s why you had to go to your room.” He then replied, “But Mom, I always eat my macaroni.” Once again, he’s right. Even though he is a horrible meatball eater, he is a spectacular macaroni and cheese eater.

I love his optimism. It is refreshing.

Thursday, June 24, 2010
One evening, I was trying to get Zach to use the bathroom and get ready for bed. He is a notoriously slow potter-goer and I kept bugging him to get on the toilet and do his business. Zach said, “Mommy, you need to be patient.” When I kept pestering him, he replied, “Mommy, patience means you don’t talk. Be patient.” He eventually did go potty after I decided to be patient.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

While at the library during Reading Time, the storyteller held up a book about a cat. She asked, “Do any of you have a pet cat?” Many kids raised their hands. Not wanting to be left out, Zach too raised his hand and proclaimed, “I have a fire truck!”

Monday, July 19, 2010

During Family Home Evening Zach said, “I like LOOOOVE Jesus the very best!” Zach is friends with a 5-year-old girl who incorporates ‘like’ into every sentence. Zach has picked up on the habit. He is also very interested in whom everyone loves the best. I guess he chooses Jesus.

Zach is the master procrastinator and is the worst at bedtime. He constantly tries to think of things to ask you so he won’t have to go to bed. Tonight, he came and asked what time he could wake up. I told him 7:00 would be fine, but the 8:00 would be even better. He rephrased, “So 7:00 would be fine and 8:00 would be finer.”

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
The other day, Zach came upstairs to tell me his new accomplishment. “Mommy,” he said. “If I stand on the fridge [meaning the mini-fridge in the basement], I can touch the ceiling!”

Monday, July 26, 2010

Mom: [To Zach and Halle] I think, if you are good kids, we should go to the museum today.
Zach: I’m going to be a good kid!
[pause]
Zach: How do you be a good kid?


I just love this kid!