Monday, February 15, 2010

the favorite toy

When Zach was little, his favorite toy was a duck. I've included a picture for your viewing pleasure.

When I was little, I'm sure I loved some normal toy. Halle likes normal toys too, but her favorite favorite "toy" is a bit abnormal. Here is a picture of her complaining that I took her favorite toy away. Her favorite toy? Zach's socks (she's holding them in the picture - I finally just gave them back).
She LOVES to carry around his socks. Sometimes the socks are new, but mostly they are used. It can't just be one. She must have a sock in each of her hands. If one is taken away, she will throw a fit (let me remind you of the above picture). Halle sucks on the socks occasionally, but mostly she just holds them. I, personally, don't see the draw.

Yesterday as we were getting ready for church, Halle was holding a pair of socks. We packed her in the car with the socks. We walked in church with the socks. And during Sacrament Meeting Halle still had the socks. I couldn't help but think what was going through the heads of the couple in back of us. Here was this little girl grinning at them with one sock in her mouth and another in her hand. They were probably imagining handing Halle a ten dollar bill and saying, "Here, Sweetheart. Give this money to your mom and dad and tell them to buy you some real toys."

I guess it could be worse - she could carry around shoes and suck on them. Wait... she does that too...